Weird World Locations England: North East Willington Mill, Willington Quay
History & Overview

Willington Mill was one of the first steam-powered flour mills in Europe, a seven-storey building opened in 1806 on a promontory beside the Willington Gut, a stream feeding the Tyne between Wallsend and North Shields. It was owned by Quaker cousins George Unthank and Joseph Procter, who lived for twenty-five quiet, undisturbed years in the separate miller’s house next door.

Everything changed after Joseph Procter’s family moved into the house in the early 1830s. From late 1834, a nursemaid began reporting thumping and pacing noises in an empty second-floor room; she was dismissed as imagining things, but her unwarned replacement heard the same thing. Over the following decade the disturbances escalated from knocking and footsteps to full apparitions witnessed by dozens of people — servants, family members, visitors and neighbours. Joseph Procter himself later claimed he could produce forty credible witnesses to the phenomena.

Two figures dominate the case. The first, nicknamed “Old Jeffrey” by locals, was a luminous, bare-headed male figure in a priest’s surplice, seen gliding back and forth at second-storey window height by four witnesses at once — the mill’s foreman, his wife, his daughter and a fourth onlooker — for a full ten minutes, described as “semi-transparent, and as bright as a star, diffusing a radiance all around” before fading from the head down. The second was a grey, sometimes lavender, female figure, notable for having no eyes, seen bent over sleeping guests and emerging from and re-entering solid walls. Family members also reported an apparition of a monkey pulling at a toddler’s bootstrap, and later folklore attached the mill’s alternative name, “Kitty’s Mill,” to a millworker said to have died after her hair caught in the machinery.

The case’s most famous episode is the vigil of 3 July 1840. Dr Edward Drury, a Sunderland doctor who had read John Wesley’s writings on the supernatural, wrote to Procter asking to spend a night in the house — pistols in his pocket, in case of pranksters. He arrived with a chemist friend, Thomas Hudson, sent to keep an eye on him by his own employer. After the two men searched the house thoroughly and took up position on the third-floor landing, they heard pattering footsteps, knocking and a hollow cough around midnight; at ten to one, Drury watched a closet door swing open and the grey female figure advance toward him, arm extended. He let out “a most awful yell,” collapsed, and by his own account remembered nothing for nearly three hours. His signed letter to Procter describing the night became the single most reprinted document in the case’s history.

Joseph Procter kept a private diary of the disturbances, which his son Edmund later had published, with his own additional commentary, in the Journal of the Society for Psychical Research (vol. 5, 1892) — giving Willington Mill a documented afterlife in the formal psychical-research literature that few other Victorian hauntings received. The family finally left the house in 1847, worn down after roughly thirteen years of disturbances, and reported no further trouble at their new home in North Shields. Being upfront about the evidence: this is entirely a 19th-century testimony case, preserved through newspaper reprints, Procter’s own diary, and one detailed first-person account from Drury — there is no photographic or physical evidence, and the case predates practical ghost-hunting photography by decades. Readers weighing how much stock to put in the story may find our guide to how ghost hunting evidence gets evaluated useful context.

The house was later divided into workers’ tenements, and by around 1889–90 tenants told Edmund Procter they’d experienced nothing unusual — but the story didn’t end there. The house was eventually demolished, and the surviving mill building became part of a series of industrial operations, most recently the Bridon-Bekaert wire-rope works. Reports have persisted into the modern era: staff at the current factory have described being pushed from behind on night shifts, and a manager has reported an ongoing sense of being watched and glimpsed shapes and shadows on site, as recently as a 2013 newspaper feature revisiting the case. In its Victorian heyday the haunting was regarded as being on a par with — and predates by roughly a century — the Borley Rectory case that would later claim the “most haunted house in England” title. What sets Willington Mill apart from most entries in this database is timing: this is arguably the first well-documented English “ghost vigil,” decades before the Society for Psychical Research even existed.

The Haunting
Details
First Recorded Late 1834/early 1835, peaking at the Drury vigil of July 1840, through to the family’s departure in 1847
Entities “Old Jeffrey” (luminous male figure in a priest’s surplice); an unnamed grey, eyeless female figure; an apparition of a monkey; “Kitty,” a millworker of local legend
Phenomena Apparitions, unexplained footsteps, disembodied voices, cold spots, object movement
Investigators’ Notes

Dr Edward Drury and chemist Thomas Hudson conducted a formal overnight vigil on 3 July 1840 — a search of the premises, a fixed observation post, a written report — a full 42 years before the Society for Psychical Research was founded in 1882, and it’s often cited as one of the first “modern-style” ghost hunts in England. The case later entered the formal psychical-research record when Joseph Procter’s diary was published, with son Edmund’s commentary, in the Journal of the Society for Psychical Research, vol. 5 (1892).

No television production appears to have covered the site as a filmed location, likely because the original house no longer exists and the surviving mill building is a working private factory with no public access. Evidence rests entirely on 19th-century witness testimony — historically significant, but anecdotal by modern standards.

Further Reading Weird World reader ghost
The Haunting of Willington Mill: The Truth Behind England’s Most Enigmatic Ghost Story
Michael J. Hallowell & Darren W. Ritson
View on Amazon ↗
Supernatural North
Darren W. Ritson
View on Amazon ↗
Video Investigations
History & Overview
Podcast Deep-Dive
Case Overview
Last verified: 5 August 2026